Monday, July 21, 2014

My new bulletin board and a tutorial.

One of the things on the top of my summer to-do list was to give my bulletin board outside of my room a facelift.  When I moved into my new room last summer (you can read about that HERE) I was a little rushed for time and had to put up my bulletin board fairly quickly.  I always like to have a space where it is easy to just quickly change out student work, but also look *cute* when it is blank. 
 
I have always loved tulle poms.  In fact, I not only have them in my classroom, but I have them in my little girls bedroom. 
 
 
I also have them hanging from my classroom ceiling.
 
 
I knew I wanted to incorporate them somehow on my new bulletin board.  This is what I came up with.  I love it!! Can't wait to hang my back to school activities on it!!
 
 
I just love the way they look and are SO simple to make. 
All you need it a roll of tulle (hobby lobby 1/2 off), a pair of scissors and something to wrap your tulle around.  This time I used a baking sheet, but I have also used a large notepad and a clipboard.  Depending on the size you want the diameter your poms you will need get find something around your house with that length.
 
 
First you will wrap the entire roll of tulle around the object you choose, I chose a baking dish.  The more tulle you wrap around the thicker your poms will be.  The ones in my daughters nursery, I used to rolls of tulle per pom.  For these I just used one.
 
 
 
 
Once you have the entire roll of tulle wrapped around, you will slowly and carefully slide it off the end of the object (baking sheet).  As you are sliding it off you want to gather it together and hold it in the center.  Make sure it all stays bunched. 
 
 
 
After you have slid it off, while holding it you will take a rubber band and wrap it around the tulle.  The rubber band is what will keep your pom together.
 
 
Now you will use your scissors to cut each end of the bundle of tulle.  If you slid it off nicely, you will have a pretty clean loop at both ends.  Slowly slide you scissor in the loop and cut it all the way across.  You will do that with both ends. 
 
 
 
 
 
After you have done that you will have something that looks likes this.
 
 
Once you have it bundled and cut it is time to start fluffing.  When you look at your bundle you will notice that is kind of divided into 4 parts from when you cut the loops.  Using those parts you will start pulling the tulle down from the top to the center and into different directions. 
 
 
I normally pull one down then one right and left and repeat until that section is complete. 
 
 
 
 
Once you have it all fluffed you might need to go back and using your hands a clasp (Like those toy machines that grab the toys) and fluff all the way around. 
 
And then you will have a pom that looks similar to this!
 
 
 
You can even make mini ones for a garland.  Just get a smaller object to wrap your tulle around!
 
 
I hope this was helpful.  If you are on instagram,  post some pics of your new poms and tag me so I can see how they turned out! @jaymeelaymance
Can't wait to see what you do with them!
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. these are adorable! thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I am doing this!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I am doing this!! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete