Sunday, April 17, 2011

Fractions, Fractions and more Fractions

We started off the week by dividing a whole into parts.  Equal and not equal.  I prefolded a piece of paper for each child and had them cut it on the crease to separate it.  Then, as a group they determined if each piece was divided into equal or non-equal parts.


Later in the week we read, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.  We wanted to know, if you gave a mouse a cookie, how many friends would he share it with?  After learning about fractions all week my sweet first graders made these adorable mice.  They gave their mouse a cookie and divided it into equal parts so he could share it with his friends.  Here's how we made the mice.  Fold a piece of brown construction paper in half and cut half of a heart. Open it up and you get a big heart. Turn it upside down and you get a mouse face.  All you do next is add google eyes, ears, a nose and wiskers and he turns out this cute.



Please look over the fire alarm in the middle.  I guess you can call me the "lucky" one, because that lovely thing is in the middle of the wall outside my room where I hang my kiddos work.  O'well!


  

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love your fraction mice! I am SO doing this next week!
    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete