Thursday, August 8, 2013

Throwback Thursday

So it's Thursday... Which means it's time for a little bit of throwback Thursday.


I haven't had this little ol' blog {or my family blog} too terribly long so this throwback isn't going THAT far back.

Every summer I make my students' take home folder for the year. That way they are ready for me to introduce on the first day of school so they can take them home starting day one.

I have used the same format I guess you'd call it for several years now and love it. The folder is a daily take home folder important notes and their behavior log, but also serves as their reading folder.

Each summer I stock up on plastic folders with brads for my take home folders. So far, they have always held up nicely and lasted all year.

I have added a few different labels and logs to my folders for this year {post coming soon}, but the basics are still the same.
Here is last summers post about where to put things... oh, and it ended with a picture of Aubree from about a year ago so I thought I would post a more recent one.


Happy Thursday!

**********************************************************************************************************
I get asked that question 156463156 times a day the first few weeks of school {who am I kidding, all year long}but it doesn't take long for my organization craziness to rub off on my firsties {well...the girls at least}.  Over the past few years I have tried several different ways for the kiddos to transport things to and from school and this is the best way I have found.

Of course each kiddo gets a folder and I assign them a "mailbox".  Their mailbox is simply a folder organizer I hang on the door with 3M hooks.  Fabulous!!! 
 
I get mine at an education store called Mardel.
Every morning when they come in they put their folder in their "mailbox".  I also send graded work home of Fridays, so Thursday afternoons either I stuff their "mailbox" with their papers or the "mailman/mailgirl" does it.  So when it comes time to pack up on Fridays they just grab everything from their "mailbox".  That is also how I pass out daily notes and such.  

So here are these fabulous folders.  Since my room is ocean theme it is called their "F.I.S.H Folder" {First grade Information Stored Here}.  If you would like a fun little acronym that matches your classroom theme you can go HERE!

Since I don't know who is in my class yet I don't have the front labels printed yet. 

Click HERE for the front cover label. They will work with Avery labels 48326.
{I did them in word so that you could change them if you would like so sadly my font will change when you view it.}


I also use clear pencil bags and tiny binder clips inside the folders. 



The front inside pocket is only for take home notes and weekly newsletters. {click HERE for the pocket label} These labels will print on Avery 25395.



The clear zipper pouch is for lunch money, picture money, small notes, etc. {.79 cents at Walmart}


The plastic pocket divider is for their take home reader and reading log {I use tiny binder clips to clip on the reading log because its quite hard sometimes to get the single sheet of paper in the pocket with the book.} Click HERE for the divider label.


The back pocket is the "Friday Pocket".  That is where they put all of their graded work on Fridays.  Click HERE for the label. 



I ask that the parents sign the Friday pocket sheet so that I know they saw their child's work.  It helps a lot report card time! 


Here is the reading log I use.  Click HERE for your copy! 


Also, click HERE for the signature sheet if you would like it as well.


I would love to know how some of you organize your take home folders or notebooks!

One of my very sweet teacher friends has recently started her own teaching blog! Check it out and join in on the safari!

Oh, and of course I have to post a sweet picture of my baby girl, Aubree!




Head on over to The First Grade Parade to link up your throwback Thursday ideas.





No comments:

Post a Comment